Printers & Multi-functionsLabel Makers & PrintersSewing, Quilting & Embroidery Machines
- Supplies & Accessories
- Support & Downloads
- Business Solutions
- Where to buy
- Product Registration
Brother respects your privacy and complies with Australia's Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) that regulate how we handle your personal information.
This Policy outlines how we will collect, store, use and disclose personal information you provide to us.
To obtain more details about the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the APPs, please refer to the Australian government website:www.oaic.gov.au
Collection of information
In the normal course of business we do not unnecessarily collect personal information about individuals. We only collect personal information directly from you, and only by lawful and fair means. We only collect what is reasonably necessary to assist you and run our business. Depending on the products or services you ask us to provide you, we collect information including; names, contact details (such as mailing address, telephone/facsimile numbers, email address); product registration details; product purchase details including the model, serial number, and retailer, and if you participate in a cashback, your financial account details; and other information you might choose to share with us.
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, you will have the option of not identifying yourself when entering transactions with us.
We use your personal information for the purpose for which it has been provided and any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act. This may include to:
- Provide you with products or services;
- Provide information and training;
- Process your application to participate in promotions or competitions;
- Promote our brand including marketing purposes or market analytics;
- Update you on important notices and policies:
- Communicate the latest product announcements, events and offers;
- Handle complaints;
- Comply with the law.
We will always notify you in advance if we need to collect, use or disclose personal information, allowing you the opportunity to opt out of any such further activity. We will never collect, use or disclose personal information other than as permitted by the Privacy Act.
We do not sell personal information and we will only disclose personal information as it relates to our direct business activities.
- However, we may disclose your personal information both within and outside Australia to other Brother Group Companies including its subsidiaries, and third parties such as:
- Our business partners, service providers, dealers and agents, contractors and advisers
- Our professional advisers including lawyers, accountants, tax advisors and auditor
- Law enforcement agencies or as otherwise required or authorised by law
- Regulatory or government bodies for the purposes of resolving customer complaints or disputes
- Any other person or for any other purpose that would be reasonably expected.
In order to undertake one or more of the following actions above, it is likely that we may transfer your personal information to recipients overseas and you consent to such disclosure. It is not reasonably practical to list all the countries in which the recipients of your information are likely to be located, but it is likely such countries will include Brother Group companies in Japan and Singapore. If you do not consent to your information being disclosed to recipients overseas kindly contact Brother’s Privacy Officer whose details are outlined below under ‘Access and Correction’.
Data quality and Security
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date and securely maintained. We have implemented and will maintain current standards of technology and operational security to protect your personal information from any such interference. We will delete or destroy personal information, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so, when it is no longer relevant to our business purpose.
With most internet browsers, you can erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all or specific types of cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. If you want to do this, please refer to your browser’s documentation to learn more.
There are specific types of first and third-party cookies served through our website(s) and the purposes they perform. These cookies include:
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website(s).
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of our website(s) but are non-essential to their use. However, without these cookies, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website(s) are being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our website(s) for you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing, ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests.
You can visit Your Online Choices and do a blanket opt-out for the organisations who signed up to Your Online Choices. When you opt out of receiving targeted ads, this information is usually saved on a cookie. Often this means that if you clear your cookies, you’ll have to opt out again.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our website(s) through third party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too. You can opt out of Facebook, Google, Twitter or Instagram by looking under its account settings.
For more information about how Google handles your information, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
If you would like to prevent your data from being collected and processed by Google Analytics, you can opt-out from Google Analytics by downloading and installing the Google Analytics’ Opt-out Add-on.
Access and correction
We respect a person’s right to access any personal information that we collect and hold about them and to have it corrected if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. You have a right to request to correct, and to access the personal information that we hold about you, subject to some exceptions authorised by law.
Mail: The Privacy Officer
Brother International (Aust) Pty Ltd
PO Box 398 North Ryde 1670
Reviewed: 6 March 2023